Game Controllers

News, announcements, background information and talk about development related stuff and things we're working on. Feedback is appreciated.

Moderators: blackbird1955, frankynov, desktopsimmer, Elefant

Game Controllers

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:19 am

iOS 7 adds support for game controllers. Although the tilt controls are fine, I think a hardware game controller with analog sticks would be a perfect match for flight simulation apps. So I plan to add game controller support in the next version of F-Sim Space Shuttle and all future apps. Now I just need to get my hands on an actual game controller to start testing.

The first company teasing an iOS controller is CalmCase. Take a look at their GameCase:
http://gamecase.com

Looks promising. Logitech is also working on one, and I’m sure there will be more.

Of course these controllers are optional. F-Sim Space Shuttle and all my future apps will continue to work without a game controller. But I guess this will be a welcome alternative input method, especially for those of you who currently use the on-screen d-pads.
Sascha
Site Admin

Re: Game Controllers

UNREAD_POSTby Elefant » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:46 am

That's a great idea many users were certainly waiting for. Many of my friends are not fans of tilt and touch controls (for iDevice games in general) and I am sure adding this possibility will bring more people to Sim Apps.
You take the right train, Sascha. ;)
Elefant

UNREAD_POSTby Frost » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:25 am

Just out of curiosity, any progress on this...? Been playing some F-Sim lately on my Shield using Nvidia's Gamepad Mapper to map the real joysticks to the virtual ones, and I was thinking this would be great if it had true support. Probably have zero problem getting F-Sim featured in Tegra Zone as well, which I bet would bring in some sales what with the new Shield Tablet launching.
Frost

UNREAD_POSTby Sascha » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:58 am

An update with MFI game controller support is currently in beta testing.
Sascha
Site Admin

Return to Developer's blog